Many of us are hip to oil pulling but there are ways you can take your oil pulling to the next level by adding essential oils. Before we get in to ways to remix our oil pulling practice let’s get down to what oil pulling is.
What is oil pulling?
It is the method of swishing oil in your mouth as a part of an oral care regimen. This practice stems from the traditional Aryuvedic remedies.
What are the benefits of oil pulling?
- Freshens breath
- Pulls toxins from the body
- Whitens teeth
- Strengthens teeth, gums, and jaws
- Aids in the prevention of mouth diseases such as cavities and gingivitis
- All natural and inexpensive
What oils are used for oil pulling?
Originally, sesame oil is recommended although some people prefer to use coconut or grapeseed oil.
How is oil pulling done?
Take a tablespoon of oil in your mouth and begin pulling it through your mouth and teeth slowly and deliberately. Be sure not to swallow any of the oil. Oil pull for 10-15 minutes then spit out the oil. his should be done daily.
How to remix your oil pulling practice:
Adding a few drops of an essential oil to your oil pulling can have additional health benefits and take your oil pulling to the next level. Here are a few of my favorite essential oils to add to my oil pulling:
- Peppermint essential oil: This is good for freshening your breath. Also great if you use coconut oil for it’s benefits but don’t love the taste of coconut oil.
- Clove essential oil: Great for relieving toothaches
- Eucalyptus oil: If you are congested or have a stuffy nose this is the perfect oil to clear up congestion
- Lemon essential oil: Another great tasting oil and there are claims of teeth whitening
- Oregano oil: Relieves toothaches