What is amaranth?
Amaranth is a heart healthy, gluten free grain that is packed with protein.
1 Cup Amaranth
2 Cups Water (Or Almond Milk)
Pinch of salt
Sweetener of choice
- Soak amaranth in water overnight or for at least 6 hours to soften the grain.
- Drain the amaranth and combine amaranth, 2 cups water (or almond milk), and pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce the heat to the low. Let the amaranth simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it thicken for 5-10 minutes
- Add your sweetener of choice. I used a teaspoon of brown sugar.
- Top with your favorite fruits and nuts.
The key to this porridge is letting the amaranth soak. The first time I tried to skip soaking but I ended up with a grainy cereal. It wasn’t bad but it wasn’t porridge either. Hope you enjoy!