I’m back with more vagina talk! Seems to be the thing around here. So, I stumbled upon vaginal steaming while perusing Chef Ahki’s facebook page. After some research it didn’t take much to convince myself to try vaginal steaming. Now, you’re probably thinking I’m crazy for steaming my vagina but let me get into the benefits before you make up your mind on the v-steam. V-steaming, the cute, marketable name for vaginal steam baths. The idea of V-Steaming is to steam your vagina with herb infused water to detox, cleanse, and nourish. Vaginal steaming is said to be useful for a number of issues including yeast infections, uterine fibroids, infertility, irregular or painful periods, and vaginal dryness.
Give a green girl a detox. Green girls love a detox.
So, yeah, I decided to give it a go. I referred to my nutritional bible and picked the best herbs for my needs. Different herbs serve different purposes for your yoni. There are herbs to bring on menses, treat vaginal dryness, and even tighten the vagina.
My herbs of choice:
Lavender: A relaxing, fragrant, antiseptic herb that aids in cleansing the vagina and healthy uterine function
Rosemary: Aids in clearing out old fluids, antiseptic, and purifying
I purchased the dried herbs from my local health food store for $2.99 a bag.
Instructions from Natural Fertility Info
1. Place your chair, blanket, and whatever else you may want in a location that will be comfortable. Place a cutting board under the chair, or place chair on a tile floor. Have a glass of water, music, reading material set up in advance. Be sure you are wearing a long skirt, no underwear, and a warm natural fiber top.
2. Boil 1 gallon of water with 1 cup herb mixture for 10 minutes. Continue to steep off of the stove for an additional 5 minutes. If transferring to a ceramic bowl, do so now. Place pot or bowl under the chair/stool.
3. Test how hot the steam is. Put the inside of your forearm over the steam to test. Remember your genitals are very sensitive to heat, you do not want to burn them! Do not sit down until the steam is comfortable for you.
4. Sit down. Be sure you are not wearing underwear and none of your clothing is hanging in the pot.
5. Cover your entire lower half, all the way to the ground with the first blanket. Make a tent all around the chair, to keep the steam in.
6. Wrap the second blanket around the upper half of your body. Keep it wrapped around you, stay warm.
7. Steam for 20-30 minutes.
8. Keep warm, go to bed for 1 hour.
V-steaming is gaining popularity at spas. Tia and Tamera Mowry recently did a v-steam at a spa on their reality tv show. That’s awesome!
I didn’t have any fancy spa equipment nor a slated chair so I had to improvise with a dorm room ottoman that I no longer used for its original purpose. If you don’t have a slated chair, get creative and search around your house for something you could use for the purpose of v-steaming.
The herb infused water smelled wonderful but I burnt myself twice because I ignored the part about “Do not sit down until the steam is comfortable for you.” Guess I was a little too eager but once the steam was at a comfortable temperature I was able to settle in. At first, I didn’t notice or feel much of a difference. It was like a facial but for your vagina. Once I finished, everything did feel cleaner and more refreshed. Within the next few days I did notice increased wetness. Safe to say I can add vaginal steaming to my Ways to A Wetter Vagina list.
Overall, I’ll do v-steams periodically to show my yoni some extra love. It was a relaxing and refreshing experience. What say ye? Will you try the v-steam?